Start the New Year Off Right with These Smart Snacking Ideas
The beginning of a new year is always a good time to evaluate what you’re eating, how active you are or aren’t being, and your snacking habits. While balanced meals, like Lemon Pepper Pretzel Crusted Fish, and regular exercise are musts for staying healthy, good snacking choices can also help boost the way you feel throughout the day. And, though snacking sometimes gets a bad rap, healthy pretzel snacks can keep you full throughout the day without adding unwanted fats or sugars to your diet.
Here are 10 healthy pretzel snack ideas to try:
- Pretzels & Protein: Get a double-punch of snack power with healthy carbs from flavored pretzels paired with a protein. If you’re a vegetarian, opt for hummus and dip the pretzels. We love Cheddar Jalapeno OMG! Pretzels with pine nut hummus (BONUS: Add some extra pine nuts for additional texture and protein). For the carnivores out there, try deli slices of smoked turkey with Lemon Pepper OMG! Pretzels rolled up inside.
- Pretzels & Cheese: This classic combination has lots of options and you’re getting great calcium into your system with this snack fix. Garlic OMG! Pretzels pair well with cheddar or mozzarella cheese and with store-bought, pre-packaged options of these cheeses readily available, this is a perfect pretzel snack option to take to work or school. For a sweeter take on snacks with pretzels and cheese, try cottage cheese with some crumbled Sweet & Spicy OMG! Pretzels on top or mixed in.
- Pretzels & Dip: There are plenty of healthy, ready-made dips on the market you can add to your pretzel snacking repertoire. Some of our favorites are guacamole, spinach dip, and salsa. You can pair any of our savory flavored pretzels with these to round out your snack and provide some vitamins to your diet.
- Pretzels & Nuts: For a quick, on-the-go pretzel snack, combine a handful of your favorite nuts with a handful of your favorite flavored pretzels. You can easily pack a few varieties in a resealable plastic bag and stash them in an office drawer or bag for when a snack craving hits. We love pairing honey roasted peanuts with Salty Butterscotch OMG! Pretzels and roasted walnuts with Chesapeake Spice OMG! Pretzels.
- Pretzels & Yogurt: Another great way to include dairy in your diet and have a yummy pretzel snack that you can eat any time of day. Make a sweet parfait with layers of fruity yogurt and crushed Sweet & Salty OMG! Pretzels; you can even add some chopped nuts for a little added protein and crunch. Keep it savory with plain, tangy Greek yogurt. Use it as a dip with Garlic or Chesapeake Spice OMG! Pretzels or create a flavorful, composed gourmet pretzel snack with layers of Greek yogurt, crushed Lemon Pepper OMG! Pretzels and chopped cucumbers and tomatoes.
- Pretzels & Dried Fruit: Sometimes the combination of crunchy and chewy is just what the doctor ordered. When you have that pretzel snack craving, try pairing Sweet Chili OMG! Pretzels with dried cherries for just the right amount of sweetness. Another combination we love is dried mango with Cheddar Jalapeño; the sweet, salty, slightly spicy mix hits all the flavor notes your snack needs.
- Pretzels & Dark Chocolate: Some may say healthy and chocolate don’t go together in the same sentence, but dark chocolate (in moderation) actually has some health benefits like being a source of antioxidants and helping to lower blood pressure. Plus, we will embrace any excuse to include chocolate in our pretzel snacks. Sweet Chili and Sweet & Spicy OMG! Pretzels are our picks for this sweet pretzel snack combination.
- Pretzels & Nut Butter: There’s something comforting about nut butter – the smell and texture takes you back to childhood and simpler times. Include it in your healthy snacking with a little crunch from flavored pretzels on the side. You can find a large variety of nut butters including peanut, almond, cashew, and hazelnut at most grocery stores. Choose the nut butter that best complements your dietary needs and then opt for a slightly sweet, flavored pretzel like Sweet & Salty or Sweet & Spicy for your healthy snacking pleasure.
- Pretzels & Popcorn: Sometimes you just want a healthy snack with a lot of crunch. We like pairing popcorn with our flavored pretzels because it is also low in fat. You can opt for a healthy variety of microwave popcorn and use an air popper to really control the levels of salt and oil in your popcorn. For a savory, salty snack, choose Chesapeake Spice or Cheddar Jalapeno OMG! Pretzels. For a sweeter pretzel snack, opt for Salty Butterscotch or Sweet & Salty OMG! Pretzels. This healthy pretzel snack is great for movie night, too!
- Pretzels & More Pretzels: When you just need a quick pick-me-up, a handful of flavored pretzels all by themselves will do the trick! And, because our gourmet pretzels are made with wholesome ingredients, you can feel good knowing they are a healthy (and ridiculously delicious) snack.
Happy 2022 and happy healthy snacking!