Cinco de Mayo is always a popular excuse to get together with friends and enjoy some yummy eats and drinks in the middle of the week! This year, we thought we’d share 6 delicious and easy ways to incorporate gourmet pretzels into your Cinco de Mayo celebration.
If you want to go the dinner party route, try this 4-course gourmet dinner menu full of pretzels and Latin-inspired dishes, including a 7-layer dip, flavorful salad with Lemon Pepper “proutons™,” cheesy corn side dish with a crunchy pretzel topping, and more!
- Pretzel Nachos: Nachos are easy to throw together, can be enjoyed hot or at room temperature (making them perfect for entertaining), and can be customized for your tastes. You can also opt to let guests build their own nacho combinations! For traditional Cinco de Mayo pretzel nachos, we recommend building them like this: A layer of OMG! Cheddar Jalapeño Pretzels on the bottom. Top with warm, creamy queso and black or pinto beans. If you want protein, go for taco-seasoned ground meat or crumbled tempeh. Next, dollop on some sour cream, then sprinkle with fresh cilantro, chopped tomatoes and sliced jalapeños.
- Classic Dips: If you’re in a time crunch after work or from activities with the kids, keep it super simple with classic Cinco de Mayo snacks – guacamole, queso and salsa. Our flavored sourdough pretzel nuggets make the perfect dippers and elevate the taste of store-bought dips. Mix it up by pairing OMG! Lemon Pepper Pretzels with the guacamole, OMG! Garlic Pretzels with the queso and OMG! Cheddar Jalapeño Pretzels with the salsa. Want to jazz up your guacamole? Here are some tasty ideas (and the OMG! Pretzels that pair best).
- Cheddar-Jalapeño Meatloaf: For the main course, make it weeknight friendly with meatloaf that has a Cinco de Mayo flair. Use your regular recipe but swap the bread or breadcrumbs for crushed OMG! Cheddar Jalapeño Pretzels. The seasoning from the gourmet sourdough pretzel nuggets gives the meatloaf the perfect hint of cheese and spice without any extra effort from you. Instead of mashed potatoes and green beans on the side, opt for Spanish rice and refried beans to carry the theme through.
- Churro-Inspired Parfait: We can’t forget dessert! For all of the flavor you love in a churro without the work or fried food consumption, try this delicious parfait. In small glass bowls (so you can see how pretty it is), layer vanilla frozen yogurt or ice cream with crushed OMG! Sweet & Salty Pretzels. They have the perfect punch of cinnamon that will remind you of a churro! If you want to jazz up this gourmet pretzel dessert, add a drizzle of chocolate or berry sauce to the top of each parfait.
- Mexican “Hot Chocolate” Bark: We love dessert so much, we had to mention it twice! For this, you’ll need good quality dark chocolate, Sweet & Spicy OMG! Pretzels, mini marshmallows, and toasted almonds. You’ll get plenty of warm spices from our seasoning blend to mimic the taste of Mexican hot chocolate. As with any bark recipe, you’ll melt the chocolate and spread it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Then, sprinkle on both whole and lightly-crushed Sweet & Spicy OMG! Pretzels (having the variation in size really amps up the texture), along with the mini marshmallows and almonds. Once the bark is set, break it into pieces and enjoy!
- Margarita Time: Is Cinco de Mayo really the same without a margarita? We don’t think so! Here’s our idea for happy hour. Finely crush OMG! Sweet Chili or Sweet & Spicy Pretzels in a food processor, then put the crumbs on a small plate. Dip the rim of your margarita glass in lime juice and then the pretzel crumbs. Fill with your margarita – on the rocks or frozen – and enjoy this flavorful rim that’s a little salty, a little sweet, and a little spicy!
Cheers to Cinco de Mayo – friends, fun, food, and fiesta!