We all know that pretzels and beer taste good together, but did you ever think about why? We think it has to do, in part, with the fact that they come from very similar ingredients – water, malt, yeast (which turns to sugar) and then some sort of flavorings. In the case of beer, this flavoring agent is often hops. In the case of OMG! Pretzels, the bold flavors can be savory or sweet.
Besides these fundamental similarities, beer and pretzels also go well together because of circumstances. They are both staples for experiences like watching a sporting event or hanging out with friends. Everyone gathers around the big screen or plays games, enjoys snacks and drinks beer. Honestly, what’s not to love?!
And, in honor of this, and the upcoming July 4th holiday, we give you some of our favorite OMG! Pretzels and beer pairings:
- Garlic Pretzels and Peroni: The clean, crisp flavor of Peroni pairs nicely with the boldness of our flagship Garlic Pretzels. Peroni, a pale lager from Italy, cuts the richness of these crunchy sourdough nuggets, so you can eat as many as you
- Lemon Pepper Pretzels and Blue Moon: The citrus notes in this combination really leave your tastebuds feeling happy. The wheat-based beer also helps mellow the spice in our Lemon Pepper Pretzels.
- Sweet and Salty and IPA: You want to choose an IPA that favors hop aroma over intense bitterness to pair with the sweetness of these crunchy pretzel nuggets. Having the slight bitter notes from an IPA complements our Sweet & Salty snacks well.
- Salty Butterscotch and Oatmeal Stout: This pairing brings back all the nostalgia of childhood in an adult snacking package. The creaminess of the stout works well with the rich flavors of our Salty Butterscotch Pretzels without taking it too far into the sweet lane.
- Chesapeake Spice and IPA: We also recommend IPA with our Chesapeake Spice Pretzels. Think about being at a seafood boil and go with that beer as it’ll give you that salty flavor combination you’re looking for, in snack form.
- Cheddar Jalapeno and Dogfish Theobroma: Why not kick the spice factor up a notch with this fun and spicy pairing? This beer is actually brewed with chiles, so we only recommend this beer and pretzel match for the brave among us.
- Sweet Chili and Gose: The sourness of this style of German-based beer works well with both flavor profiles of our Sweet Chili Pretzels. The Gose brings in a salty element to bring your tastebuds full circle.
No matter which pretzel and beer combination you try this July 4th holiday or at your next game night, keep in mind that OMG! Pretzels were made for elevated snacking and can be paired with various drinks for a fun experience and ridiculously delicious eats!