Let’s face it, the pantry is one of the spaces in your house that can almost always use a little cleaning up. This can be especially true when you are stocking up on supplies for special holiday dishes or treats that need a place in the pantry. Here are some helpful hints for how to organize your pantry for the holidays and have fun doing it!
- Start with a clean slate. This is probably the most overwhelming step, but it must be done. Take everything out of your pantry. Yes, you read that correctly! You have to start from scratch to really get organized and set yourself up for success.
- Purge as needed. Now, look through packages and throw out anything that’s expired or stale. Make a note of items that need replacing or supplies like airtight containers or extra chip clips that could prevent this waste in the future.
- Categorize. Decide how you want to sort your pantry goods. We prefer putting like-items together and leaving a special space for seasonal goods – such as holiday supplies – that you can update as needed. We also love having a snack shelf that everyone in the family can reach – we stock ours with dried fruit, nuts, granola bars, multi-grain tortilla chips, and of course, OMG! Pretzels.
- Containers and labels. Clear containers are ideal for keeping your pantry organized. This way, you can see what you have, know when the flour is running out, and things stay on the shelves more easily. It’s important to label your containers because you might forget what you put in each container over time, and things like baking soda and baking powder can easily be confused.
- Use all of your space. If you don’t have shelving on your pantry door, invest in some. This is a great place to store dry spices and smaller bottles of specialty oils and vinegars. Wall space is also great for storing recyclable bags and keeping them tucked away.
- Keep it up! The holidays are a great excuse to start this pantry project, but you have to maintain it throughout the year or next December, you’ll have to begin again at step one. Just a few minutes each week after you grocery shop makes all the difference.
We hope these tips help you get organized for the holidays and beyond. We know that keeping track of pantry staples like spices, oils, dried beans, flour, pasta, jarred sauces and OMG! Pretzels are essential to staying stress-free during the holiday season. Happy organizing!