Cauliflower Soup with OMG! Garlic Proutons & Chive Oil
This elegant and creamy soup is the perfect start to a gourmet meal or a filling plant-based main course. The herbaceous notes of the OMG! Garlic Proutons and chive oil brighten up the rich soup.
- Food processor or blender, dutch oven (optional)
For the soup:
- 1 head cauliflower or 2 smaller ones (about 2 pounds)
- 8 tbsp butter (1 stick), divided
- 1 onion minced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the toppings:
- 1 oz fresh chives
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ bag Garlic OMG! Pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the leaves off of the cauliflower and place it whole in a large baking dish.
- Cut half of the butter (4 tbsp) into cubes and place on top of the cauliflower. Season with salt.
- Add ½ cup of water to the bottom of the baking dish. Bake the cauliflower uncovered for 60 minutes. Then, tent with foil and bake for another 30 minutes, turning the temperature down to 300 degrees.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, make the chive oil. In a food processor, add the chives and roughly chop. Then add in the olive oil and puree.
- Once combined, strain the oil through a fine mesh strainer and let sit until you’re ready to use it.
- Remove cauliflower from the oven; let it cool. Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop the cauliflower and set aside.
- Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a medium dutch oven (or large saucepan) over medium-low heat.
- Mince the onion and add it to the pot with the thyme, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft (about 15 minutes).
- Add the chopped cauliflower and 4 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 10 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool slightly and then purée in a food processor until very smooth. HINT: Work in batches. You can do this step ahead of time (up to 2 days in advance) and store it in the fridge.
- Return pureed soup to the pot and bring to a simmer. Add in more water if the soup is too thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add in the remaining 4 tbsp of butter and cream.
- Once this is combined and warmed through, serve the soup. Scatter the Garlic Proutons over the top and drizzle with the chive oil.
Calories: 623kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 5gFat: 62gSaturated Fat: 25gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 371mgPotassium: 542mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 1451IUVitamin C: 76mgCalcium: 78mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @OMGpretzels or tag #omgpretzels