As we begin to emerge from the pandemic with more and more people getting vaccinated, many of us still have a focus on how to stay healthy. One simple way is to eat foods that are fresh each season; for spring that means lots of delicious fruits and vegetables. We love going to farmers’ markets that pop up with fresh produce and specialty offerings.
A few of our favorite fresh springtime finds are:
- Artichokes: Whether you eat them steamed or grilled, artichokes are a springtime staple. Baby artichokes are a fun addition to charcuterie boards and pair especially well with our Lemon Pepper Pretzels for a bit of tang and brightness.
- Carrots: Available year-round in the grocery store, true baby carrots are a spring delight. Raw or cooked, carrots provide lots of great vitamins and antioxidants that boost your immune system naturally.
- Kale: Known as a superfood, kale is one of the most nutrient-rich veggies out there! We love to make Caesar salad with kale and use our Garlic Pretzels as croutons. Our gourmet pretzel nuggets add the perfect crunch and an extra boost of flavor to the salad.
- Parsley: You may think it’s just an herb or garnish for making dishes look pretty, but parsley is actually really good for you. It is packed with important nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin K, and vitamin C to support your immune system and help keep your skin clear.
- Peas: Regular green peas, plus sugar snaps and snow peas are sweetest in springtime. You can add raw or cooked peas to salads, stir frys, and pasta dishes. You can also air fry peas so they get crunchy and add them to a homemade trail mix. We think they’re great with our Sweet Chili Pretzels, peanuts, and a handful of dried apricots.
- Radishes: Wonderfully crunchy and bitter, radishes and their greens have long been used for their healthy qualities. They enhance liver function and are good for cardiovascular health. They are also very diverse, with more than 30 varieties that have different colors, shapes, and sizes.
- Strawberries: Spring is the perfect time to pick strawberries for maximum sweetness. These delicious berries are obviously yummy all by themselves, and they are also great in desserts and yogurt parfaits. Our favorite breakfast or snack is vanilla yogurt layered with fresh strawberries and crushed Sweet & Salty Pretzels. It’s a great blend and the added texture of our gourmet sourdough pretzels sets it over the top!
No matter which fruits and veggies are your favorites, keep in mind that fresh foods can help you stay healthy. And, they are delicious when you add them to your favorite dishes and pair them with bold and innovative flavored OMG! Pretzels.